Last month we reported on the move by Airbus to establish $600 million assembly plant in Mobile, Alabama, U.S.A.
Airbus, a subsidiary of the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co., announced its plans July 2nd to build a $600 million aircraft assembly plant at the Brookley Aeroplex in Mobile. The plant at Brookley will assemble the industry leading family of A319, A320 and A321 aircraft. The facility will employ 1,000 full-time workers at full capacity.
Airbus received a warm welcome in Alabama but more than that with the Coastal Gateway Regional Economic Development Alliance (CGEDA) recognising the opportunities within the community extended beyond job creation and they have gone the extra mile by establishing a plan for recruiting Airbus suppliers. Their latest report underlines their commitment to Airbus and states; "With the Airbus decision to locate a production facility in Mobile there will be opportunities for communities in the CGEDA region to successfully recruit and locate 1st, 2nd, and 3rd tier suppliers. Elements of our economic development strategy are outlined as follows:
- Continue to work with state allies: The Department of Commerce, Economic Development Partnership of Alabama, Alabama Power Company, PowerSouth, South Alabama Gas, etc., to position CGEDA sites and buildings as logical locations for Airbus Suppliers.
- Continue to recertify sites, objectively identified as aerospace "ready". Additionally, work with local economic developers and community leaders to identify new sites and facilities as suitable for supplier needs.
- Coordinate our marketing efforts with those of the Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and the Mobile Chamber to leverage our resources.
- Continue our efforts to improve our workforce and ensure that we have employees with the applicable skills for the aerospace industry specifically and advanced manufacturing in general.
- Identify specific and strategic marketing events that will position the assets of CGEDA and allow us to leverage our resources effectively.
- Integrate an aerospace strategy into the CGEDA Existing Business Program to identify any current or future synergies."
In these challenging economic times the need to grasp opportunities as they present themselves is more that important and CGEDA are to be congratulated for their forward thinking and swift action.