Kent Design and Development Awards 2014
Celebrating their 10th anniversary, the Kent Design and Development Awards 2014 have been launched. The awards take place every two years and highlight the design excellence of the county's property and construction industry.
There are five categories and properties completed between 1 January 2012 and 30 May 2014 are eligible to take part.
Civils and Infrastructure category is sponsored by CTP Consulting Engineers and is open to a range of structural projects, from highway infrastructure to bridges, substations, wind turbines, sea defences, below ground installations and quays.
Commercial, Industrial and Retail recognises developments demonstrating a design-led approach to local economic growth and is sponsored by Liberty Property Trust UK Limited.
Environmental Performance is all about sustainability – during construction and into the future. Sponsored by Woodley Coles LLP, this award encourages developers to minimise the environmental impact of their work.
Public Buildings - Education and Community is split into two awards. Sponsored by Kent Construction Focus Group, this celebrates the construction or refurbishment of a range of educational and community buildings.
Residential - Minor and Major, sponsored by Liberty Property Trust UK Limited, also divides into two awards. Covering all residential developments, the minor award is for projects with 10 dwellings or less, the major is open to everything else.
The winners of the five categories will go forward to compete for consideration as PROJECT OF THE YEAR, sponsored by DHA Planning, this will be awarded to the building or scheme with the greatest level of design quality in Kent.
Headline sponsorship for the awards is provided by DHA Planning, Kent County Council and Maxim, one of Kent's leading PR agencies.
The deadline for entries, which can be submitted online at www.kentdesigndevelopmentawards.co.uk , is 16 June 2014.
The last awards held in 2012 honoured the following:
- Commercial, Industrial and Retail winner - Rocksalt Restaurant, Folkestone.
- Public Buildings Education winner - Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury.
- Civils and Infrastructure winner - Dover Esplande, sea frontage.
- Environmental Performance winner - Hadlow College.
- Minor Residential winner - Hill House, Ulcombe.
- Major Residential winner - Rosemary Gardens, Park Wood.
- Public Buildings, Community winner - The Turner Contemporary in Margate and already Margate's 15th most recommended visitor attraction according to tripadvisor.co.uk.
- Public Buildings, Education winner - Walderslade Primary School.
- Project of the Year (Sponsored by DHA Planning) - Rocksalt Restaurant, Folkestone.
The contest is now open for entries. Deadline 16 June 2014
Kent's 2012 Design Award project of the year - Rocksalt, Folkestone - designed by Guy Hollaway Architects.
Picture: Paul Freeman